DIRECTOR OF MUSIC AND CHANCEL CHOIR
First Presbyterian Church of Redlands, California
The church is not an ordinary institution, and the church staff is not an ordinary business staff. As a multi-cultural church our primary concern is to love and care for people – all people. For the church to carry on its work and mission as a caring community, a wide variety of tasks need to be done and done well, but people come first. Therefore, the essential pre-requisite for this job is that the applicant likes people and desires to serve them in an attitude of Christian love
Our staff works in a spirit of cooperation and helpfulness and in line with suggestions of the Book of Order and the Personnel Policies of the First Presbyterian Church of Redlands
Accountable to the Pastor and Session through the Personnel Committee. The immediate supervisor of the Director of Music and Chancel Choir is the Pastor.
The Director of Music and Chancel Choir coordinates the entire music program and leads the Chancel Choir in providing appropriate choral music during services of worship and special church events. This includes the provision of organ/piano music for all regular and special services for the church year. Other responsibilities include:
- Plan, rehearse, direct the choir, and perform the music for the worship service on Sunday morning.
- In cooperation with the Pastor, plan and implement the music for the worship service as well as special services and music events (e.g., Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, weddings, funerals).
- Organize special Sunday morning music during summer months when choir is not in session.
- Play for weddings and memorial services when organ/piano music is requested and be compensated according to the fee schedule.
- Hire, direct, and release paid soloists (two to four) and incidental instrumentalists.
- Recruit and train choristers.
- Work cooperatively with church’s other musicians.
- Maintain the music library and robes.
- Maintain a regular tuning schedule with reputable tuners for organ and pianos.
- Order all music and music supplies for the Music Ministry.
- Work within an annually approved music budget.
- Practice sufficiently to maintain a high level of musicianship.
- Network with other colleagues in the Redlands music community through such programs as the American Guild of Organists, ecumenical events, etc.
- Provide necessary information to church publications.
- Attend meetings of the Worship & Congregational Life Committee when requested
The position of Director of Music and Chancel Choir is exempt under California labor law. NOTE: All offers of employment with the First Presbyterian Church of Redlands are contingent on successful completion of the criminal background check.
The Director of Music and Chancel Choir is a year-round position (12 months). This schedule includes four paid Sundays “off” (subject to approval at least two weeks in advance by the Pastor and the Personnel Committee. The job requires 8 to 10 hours per week.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Skills in leading worship through organ and piano playing, both for choral and congregational singing, along with instrumental solo pieces
- Skills in instrumental and choral conducting, in voice development, and in worship planning in coordination with the pastor
- Knowledge of choral repertoire and familiarity with a variety of choral rehearsal techniques
- Openness to a wide variety of musical styles
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Clear concept of being an integral part of the ministerial team
- Ability to play and conduct simultaneously
- Masters degree preferred